Hoop Dreams Africa
Dream | Believe | Achieve
Hoop Dreams Africa
Hoop Dreams Africa is a Zambian based African youth basketball development organization that use the game of basketball for social development and empowerment of the youth aged 10 – 20 years. Hoop Dreams Africa firmly believe in the power of the game of basketball by creating and influencing positive social change and the promotion of healthy lifestyles for the African youth through innovative, interactive and integrated basketball development programs. Our existence is centered on using the powerful and positive influence of the game of basketball as an effective tool for communication, community mobilisation and social integration of the health, education and life-skills activities.
To promote and grow the popularity of the game of basketball in Zambia and on the African continent among the youth through establishing, developing and promoting grassroots game, player and skills development activities.
To positively change Africa, empower the youth and impact the world through basketball as a development tool and realise a world where children and young people can dream, believe and achieve their unique potential and contribute to stronger African communities.
The Student Athlete Basketball Coach Volunteer Program
Why volunteer with Hoop Dreams Africa?
This is a fantastic opportunity for university or college student athletes, sports enthusiasts and all the highest skilled coaches who have performed at professional level in their sport to pass on their sports passion and skills to the disadvantaged children and youth of Africa. Through coaching the youth in basketball, you will play a major role in building their confidence, happiness and self-esteem. As a student coach you’ll have the opportunity to do something you truly love whilst at the same time helping to put smiles on the faces of some of the most deserving children and youth. Volunteering can enable you to try something new and different, develop new skills and put old ones to valuable use. This could be a great way of enhancing your lifestyle and helping you to stand out from your peers. This is an opportunity to gain invaluable experience in working with children and youth through sports development as well as impacting positively on the lives of some of the African youth.
The SABC volunteer program gives you the chance to build up your coaching skills and experiences and get you involved in sports education exchange activities.
What is it? The Student Athlete Basketball Coach Program is a Hoop Dreams Africa designed student athlete program aimed at creating opportunities for basketball student athletes in colleges and universities overseas to come and participate as a volunteer basketball coach under the Hoop Dreams Africa basketball program on the Africa continent and Zambia in particular. This programme has been designed to offer university and college students the chance to gain practical experience in youth sports development by volunteering for Hoop Dreams Africa as a Student Volunteer Basketball Coach. This program is more appealing to student athletes who are pursuing social sciences and sports programs such as sports coaching, sports management, sports medicine, sports administration etc. For over four weeks the Student Volunteer Coach will be engaged in coaching sports, teaching leadership, life skills and health education to the Zambia youth.
SABC Development Objectives
- To promote international youth coaching cooperation through basketball development and cultural exchange programmes that foster global peace, sports diplomacy and awareness.
- To help promote global awareness and build friendships and partnerships with universities and colleges overseas in international sports development for children and youths.
- To develop and promote the teaching, coaching and leadership skills among volunteer coaches by integrating health, education and life skills through sports.
- To promote and enhance global awareness, international peace and cooperation, and promote friendship and partnership through sports.
- To provide an opportunity for oversees universities and colleges to engage students in sports based research, sports education and cultural exchange tours.
- To create more and better playing opportunities that increases the level of participation of children and youth in sports and physical education activities at school and community levels.
- To cultivate a culture of sports that promotes healthy lifestyles among the African youth.